I will look at variety of interaction issues surrounding mobile device use. Some of these focus on the mobile itself, the way the particular properties of the mobile require specific design and evaluation heuristics. We will also look at the ways in which interfaces can be sometimes automatically adapted for mobile use and how designing applications first for mobile use can also improve the experience of desktop use.
In the second part of the tutorial we will look towards emerging and future applications looking at the way the mobile is part of a physical space and the opportunities this affords and also at the way mobile devices can be used in combination with public displays such as those increasingly found in city centres.
Keywords: mobile usability, mobile devices, usability heuristics, public displays
- M. Jones and G. Marsden (2005). Mobile Interaction Design. John Wiley & Sons.
- E. Bertini, T. Catarci, A. Dix, S. Gabrielli, S. Kimani and G. Santucci (2007). Appropriating Heuristic Evaluation Methods for Mobile Computing. Chapter XLVI in Handbook of Research on User Interface Design and Evaluation for Mobile Technology, J. Lumsden (ed.) Information Science Reference.
- C. Sas and A. Dix (2008). Designing and evaluating mobile phone-based interaction with public displays. In CHI '08 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (Florence, Italy, April 05 - 10, 2008). CHI '08. ACM, New York, NY, 3941-3944.
workshop site and proceedings | workshop abstract
- A. Dix and C. Sas (2008).Public displays and private devices: A design space analysis. Workshop on Designing and evaluating mobile phone-based interaction with public displays. CHI2008, Florence, 5th April 2008
- Gill, S., Walker, D., Loudon, G., Dix, A., Woolley, A., Ramduny-Ellis, D. and Hare, J. (2008). Rapid Development of Tangible Interactive Appliances: Achieving the Fidelity/Time Balance. To be published in Tangible and Embedded Interaction, a special issue of the International Journal of Arts and Technology, September 2008. Online ISSN 1754-8861, print ISSN 1754-8853.
- A. Dix (1999). Hazy, Crazy, Lazy Days are Over -time for designers to think. keynote Designing Information for Mobile and Broadband Network Users, London, 15th December 1999
- A. Dix, T. Catarci, B. Habegger, Y. Ioannidis, A. Kamaruddin, A. Katifori, G. Lepouras, A. Poggi, D. Ramduny-Ellis (2006).
Intelligent context-sensitive interactions on desktop and the web. Proceedings of the international Workshop in Conjunction with AVI 2006 on Context in Advanced Interfaces. (Venice, Italy, May 23, 2006), ACM Press , pp. 23-27
- A. J. Dix (1995). Cooperation without (reliable) Communication: Interfaces for Mobile Applications. Distributed Systems Engineering, 2(3): pp. 171-181.