- research topics
Versions in CSCW and HCI
The main focus of this work has been on the use of versions in CSCW systems with Tom Rodden and Ian Sommerville of Lancaster University.
This built upon Lancaster's long experience in both CSCW and Software Engineering and on my own previous work on the use of versions to enable disconnected working and on dynamic pointers as a semantic and conceptual framework.
There are also links with the study of history and undo in single and multi-user systems.
Some of my online papers:
- A. Dix, T. Rodden and I. Sommerville (1996).
A Modal Model of Versions.
FAHCI - Formal Aspects of the Human Computer Interface. Sheffield,
- A. Dix, R. Mancini and S. Levialdi (1997).
Communication, action and history.
Proceedings of CHI'97. Atlanta, USA, ACM Press.
- A. Kirby, P. Rayson, T. Rodden, I. Sommerville and A. Dix (1997).
Versioning the Web.
7th International Workshop on Software Configuration Management, Ed.
R. Conradi. Boston, USA, pp. 163-173.
paper (PDF, 66K)
(also available as CSEG/21/96
from Computing Department, Lancaster University - see my 1996
- A. Dix, T. Rodden and I. Sommerville (1997).
Modelling Versions in Collaborative Work.
IEE Proceedings in Software Engineering. 144(4) pp. 195-205
paper (compressed postscript, 352K) || full
paper (PDF, 88K)
- A. J. Dix and V. C. Miles (1992).
Version control for asynchronous group work.
YCS 181, Department of Computer Science, University of York, (Poster presentation
HCI'92: People and Computers VII).
paper (compressed postscript, 108K) || full
paper (PDF, 127K)
Related papers in the CSCW literature
- C. Neuwirth, R. Chandhok, D. Kaufer, P. Erion, J. Morris and D. Miller (1992).
Flexible Diff-ing in a collaborative writing system. Proceedings of
CSCW'92. Toronto Canada, pp. 147-154, ACM Press. in ACM
- J. Munson and P. Dewan (1994). A flexible object merging framework.
Proceedings of CSCW'94. Chapel Hill, USA. pp.231-242, ACM Press. in
- Beaudouin-Lafon, M. (1990). Collaborative development of software,
in Multi-User Interfaces and Applications, S. Gibbs and A. Verrijn-Stuart,
Editors. Elsevier Science Publishers:
- Garg, P.K. and W. Scacchi (1990). A Hypertext System to Maintain Software
Life-cycle Documents. IEEE Software. 7(3): p. 90-98.
- Haake, A. and J.M. Haake. (1993). Take CoVer: Exploiting Version Support
in Cooperative Systems. in Proc. Conf. on Human Factors in Computing
Systems (INTERCHIÔ93). Amsterdam: ACM Press. p. 406-413.
- Pendergast, M. and M. Beranek. (1991). Coordination and control for
collaborative workstation design. in Diaper, D. and Hammond, N., editors,
People and Computers VI - Proceedings of the HCI '91 Conference, pp.
157-167. British Computer Conference Series, Cambridge University Press
- Witten, I. H., Thimbleby, H. W., Coulouris, G., and Greenberg, S. (1991).
Liveware: a new approach to sharing data in social networks. International
Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 34:337-348.
Versions on the web
- Appelt, W. (1996). CoopWWW - Interoperable Tools for Cooperation Support
using the World-Wide Web. in Proc. ERCIM Workshop "CSCW and the
Web". Sankt Augustin, Germany: Arbeitspapiere der GMD 984, GMD/FIT.
- Reuter, J., S.U. Hn§gen, J.J. Hunt, and W.F. Tichy (1996). Distributed
Revision Control via the World Wide Web. in 6th Int. Workshop on Software
Configuration Management. Berlin: Springer. p. 166-174.
- Vitali, F. and D.G. Durand (1995). Using versioning to support collaboration
on the WWW. in Fourth World Wide Web Conference. Electronic publication
Traditional programming version control
- Reps, T., S. Horowitz, and J. Prints (1988). Support for integrating
program variants in an environment for programming in the large. in Proc.
1st Int. Workshop on Software Configuration Management. Grassau: ACM Press.
- Rochkind, M.J. (1975). The Source Code Control System. IEEE Trans.
on Software Engineering. SE-1(4): p. 255-265.
- Sachweh, S. and W. Schfer (1995). Version management for tightly integrated
software engineering environments. in Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Software
Engineering Environments. IEEE Computer Society Press. p. 21-31.
- Tichy, W.F. (1985). RCS -a system for version control. Software
Practice and Experience. 15(7): p. 637-654.
- Bernard, Y. and P. Lavency (1989). A Process Oriented Approach to Configuration
Management. in Proc. 11th Int. Conf on Software Engineering. IEEE
Press. p. 320-330.
- Lacroix, M., D. Roelants, and J.E. Waroquier (1991). Flexible Support
for Cooperation in Software Development. in Proc. 3rd Int. Workshop
on Software Configuration Management. Trondheim: Springer-Verlag.
- Lie, A., R. Conradi, T.M. Didriksen, and E.-A. Karlsson (1989). Change-oriented
Versioning in a Software Engineering Database. in Proc. 2nd Int. Workshop
on Software Configuration Management. Princeton, N.J.: ACM Press. p. 56-65.
maintained by Alan Dix