Alan Dix - research
and innovation techniques
[silly ideas home]
[what do I mean by a bad idea?]
[thinking about bad ideas]
[silly ideas and 'solutions']
What do I mean by a bad idea?
- NOT something where the silliness is a matter of opinion
- (e.g. 'the conservative party')
- NOT something real that someone created intending to be serious,
- but turned out silly (e.g. not Sinclair's mini-car)
(but these are often what you will use the techniques you learn on)
just something original, but crazy, or clearly a bad idea
Examples from previous research methods sessions I've done:
- inflatable dartboard (courtesy MSc group at Dublin Institute of Technology)
- solar powered torch (courtesy lancs. MRes group)
- black text on a black background (courtesy student at Cheltenham and Glocester
College who tried to find an idea so bad that even I couldn't make it useful)
- munchman interface (well actually I published a paper on that one ...)
Don't give a long explanation, just a single phrase as above.
Bad or silly ideas may have an IT focus, but need not (as above).
I've been trying to think of examples that are too silly to include (e.g.
sending a paper aeroplane to the sun), but keep realising that they are quite
sensible after all (is this just my addled brain?).