and Infrastructure for Mobile Multimedia Applications
EPSRC GR/L64140 & GR/L64157
Alan Dix, 21/2/2002
To date we have produced approximately 14 conference and workshop publications, 7 journal publications and the research has contributed to a PhD thesis by Ramduny. We also have a number of other publications in preparation and anticipate the submission in 2002 of a further PhD thesis describing the distributed systems platform we have developed.
1. A. Dix, T. Rodden, N. Davies, J. Trevor, A. Friday, and K. Palfreyman. "Exploiting Space and Location as a Design Framework for Interactive Mobile Systems" ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI) 7(3), September 2000, pp. 285-321.
2. D. Ramduny, A. Dix and T. Rodden (1998). Exploring the design space for notification servers. Proceedings of CSCW'98. ACM Press. pp. 227-235
3. Alan Dix (1998). Finding Out - event discovery using status-event analysis. Formal Aspects of Human Computer Interaction FAHCI98, Sheffield, 5th&6th September 1998.
4. D. Ramduny and A. Dix (2002). Impedance Matching: When you need to know What. Submitted to HCI2002.
5. Ramduny, D. (2002) "Frameworks for Enhancing Temporal Interface Behaviour through Software Architectural Design", PhD thesis Staffordshire University, UK.
6. Alan Dix, Devina Ramduny, Tom Rodden and Nigel Davies (1999). Places to stay on the move - software architectures for mobile user interfaces. Second Workshop on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices. 31st August 1999, Edinburgh.
7. Alan Dix, Devina Ramduny, Tom Rodden and Nigel Davies (2000). Places to stay on the move - Software architectures for mobile user interfaces. Personal Technologies 4(2).
8. T. Rodden, K. Cheverst, N. Davies and A. Dix (1998). Exploiting context in HCI design for Mobile Systems. Workshop on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices, Glasgow, 21st & 22nd May 1998.
9. Davies, N., A. Friday, S. Wade and G. Blair. "L2imbo: A Distributed Systems Platform for Mobile Computing" ACM MONET Journal, Vol. 3 No 2. 1998. Pages 143 - 156.
10. A. Dix (2000). Welsh Mathematician walks in Cyberspace (the cartography of cyberspace). Keynote: Collaborative Virtual Environments - CVE2000.
11. A. Dix (2001). In a Strange Land: modelling and understanding cyberspace. Symposium on "Human-Computer Interaction in the 21st Century". OCG, Graz, Austria, 13th January 2001
12. A. Dix (1999). Design of User Interfaces for the Web (keynote), User Interfaces to Data Intensive Systems UIDIS, Edinburgh 5th - 6th September 1999
13. A. Dix (1999). Hazy, Crazy, Lazy Days are Over - time for designers to think. keynote Designing Information for Mobile and Broadband Network Users, London, 15th December 1999
14. Kecheng Liu, Lily Sun, Alan Dix and Mohan Narasipuram (2001). Norm-based agency for designing collaborative information systems. Information Systems Journal 11, pp. 229-247.
15. A. Dix (2002). Network-Based Interaction. Handbook for Human-Computer Interaction, eds. A. Sears and J. Jacko. Lawrence Erlbaum & Associates (in press)
16. A. Dix (2000). Understanding the e-Market and designing products to fit. E-commerce - issues and directions, Imperial College London, 13th Jan 2000 (talk only).
17. A. Dix (2001). artefact + marketing = product. Interfaces, no. 48, Autumn 2001, pp. 20-21.
18. A. Dix (2001). Cyber-economies and the Real World. SAICSIT'2001 - South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists Annual Conference. Pretoria, 25-28 September 2001. Unisa Press, Pretoria. pp. xi-xiii
19. Friday, A., N. Davies, G. Blair, and K. Cheverst. "Developing Adaptive Applications: The MOST Experience" Journal of Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering Vol. 6 No. 2, Pages 143-157.
20. Cheverst, K., N. Davies, K. Mitchell, A. Friday and C. Efstratiou. "Developing a Context-aware Electronic Tourist Guide: Some Issues and Experiences" Proc of CHI00, Netherlands. 17-24 March 2000.
21. Efstratiou, C., K. Cheverst, N. Davies and A. Friday. "An Architectural For The Effective Support Of Adaptive Context-Aware Applications". Proceedings of Int Conf on MDM 2001 (Mobile Data Management), Hong-Kong, January 2001.
22. Efstratiou, C., A. Friday, N. Davies and K. Cheverst. "Utilising the Event Calculus for Policy Driven Adaptation in Mobile Systems". Submitted to Policy 2002.
23. A. Dix (1998). Finding Out - event discovery using status-event analysis Formal Aspects of Human Computer Interaction. FAHCI98, Sheffield, 5th&6th September 1998.
24. A. Dix (1999). aQtiveSpace "how it works". aQtive technical paper.
25. A. Dix, R. Beale and A. Wood (2000). Architectures to make Simple Visualisations using Simple Systems. Proceedings of Advanced Visual Intervaces - AVI2000, ACM Press, pp. 51-60.
26. Cheverst, K., Christos Efstratiou, Nigel Davies, and Adrian Friday. "Architectural Ideas for the Support of Adaptive Context-Aware Applications" Proceedings of Workshop on Infrastructure for Smart Devices - How to Make Ubiquity an Actuality, HUC'00, Bristol, September 2000
Submitted Publications Pending Decision
Ramduny, D. and A. Dix. "Impedance Matching: When you need to know What" Submitted to HCI 2002.
Efstratiou, C., A. Friday, N. Davies and K. Cheverst. "Utilising the Event Calculus for Policy Driven Adaptation in Mobile Systems". Submitted to Policy 2002.
Efstratiou, C., A. Friday, N. Davies and K. Cheverst. "A Platform Supporting Coordinated Adaptation in Mobile Systems". Submitted to WMCSA 2002.